Here are the quick steps i use to backup and create a sand box drupal site in my project complainsindia.com, Hope it can be helpful.Backing up site:
- Connect your host using ssh.
- Fire command tar -zcvf backupname_date.tar.gz <drupal-root>/
- Download backupname_date.tar.gz to your local machine using FTP(Filezila etc).
Backing up Database:
- Use backup & migrate module to get database backup.
Restoring to new server or Creating a Sandbox site:
- Extract backupname_date.tar.gz on server. Use the command tar -zxvf backupname_date.tar.gz.
- Replace .htaccess from with same server copy if available or you may need to commment/Un-comment line "RewriteBase / ".
- Update DB info in sites/default/settings.php.
- Change permissions for sites/default/files as writable.
- Fire up your PHPmyadmin, Create databse with same settings provided in settings.php, and import the tables
That's it short n sweet.